Amazon

Sunday, September 23, 2012

HANDMADE VERSION OF A CLIP IT UP!

I decided I would attempt to build my version of a Clip-It-Up.  It was actually really easy to build.  I went to Home Depot and purchased a 3' thread rod, a pack of lock nuts, a pack of hex nuts and washers.  All the materials were 3/8".  I also purchased a ceiling plate (used to hang a light fixture).

  I came home and started the assembly.  I was going to use the ceiling plate as the base but soon realized that it was not quite large enough or heavy enough to stay upright.  I looked around the house for something more substantial.  I found this lamp that I didn't use because the switch did not work.  I pulled off the works on top, and took out what was inside.  I took the thread rod and screwed it all the way in (this took forever!!!).  I notice that the rod was wobbly in the lamp base, I decided to make use of the ceiling plate and put it inside the bottom of the lamp base.
I screwed on a lock nut which stabilized the rod a bit more.  I dropped a washer onto the rod and then screwed a hex nut to the top of the lamp.  That finished stabilizing the rod into the lamp base. 
I then screwed on two more hex nuts to the desired height then I tightened them toward each other so that they lock into place.  Then I dropped on a washer, then the larger lampshade frame, then another washer.  After that, I screwed on two more hex nuts to just barely above the last washer attached, I tightened them up towards each other so that they lock into place.  I was sure to leave just enough room between the sets of hex nuts to allow the lampshade frame to turn freely.
Ok, so far, so good!!!  Woohoo!!!
Alright, now to the next part...
I screwed on two more hex nuts to the desired height (near the top of the rod).  I tightened them towards each other to ensure they were locked in place.  I then dropped on a washer, smaller lampshade frame, and another washer.  Then screwed on the last two hex nuts to just above the last washer attached, tightened them towards each other to ensure they are locked in place.  I was sure to leave just enough space to allow the lampshade frame to spin freely.  
Now that the boring part is done, I get to hang my embellishments and stamps, and etc...
I hung the embellishments, etc... using colored paperclips.  Here is a picture of the finished project!!! 
Finished!!!!  I Love it!!!!

It is going to make accessing my embellishments so much easier!!!  I am very happy with it!  :-)  

Here is a video showing how it works... 


Please comment and let me know what you think, if you have any questions or suggestions.  Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. It's great Brenda, amazing! ... love your blog!
    susana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susana for visiting and for the lovely comments. My blog is still a work in progress. I want to make it more interesting and more appealing to the eyes. Thank you again. :-)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete